Monday, February 1, 2010

Intertwined branches/long conversations


Have you ever noticed when you look at a group of trees, whether leafless or not, their branches look so beautifully intertwined?  Like long conversations between them all.  You really can't see where one begins and one ends.  And when they are full of leaves, their secrets are tucked into them.  You can't see the birds, the nests, both abandoned and newly created.  Nor can you see the thousands of bugs, caterpillars, and the occasional shoe.   


My life is like that right now.  Each project I have, most especially the art, is a leafless tree of sorts and it's intertwined with the others.  How can they not be?  But to look at it from a distance they look like one room filled with canvases; none of them distinct.  And I'm having to dart from one to the next like those squirrels in the snow this weekend. They skitter.  I can't think of a better word for it.  That's how I'm feeling right now.  Skittered. Textiles, now book, now art show, now editing, now hurting friends, now doctors appointments, now relationships, now children with hot fires, red cheeks and fast sleds.  But I do have a smile on my face.  Is that what separates us from the squirrels?  Smiles and hopefully brain size?  


Body
So excellent news this week.  My heart, my cholesterol (both good and bad), my lipids, my whatever are all in excellent shape!  All blood work came back outstanding.  The nurse on the phone was astounded that I wasn't on any medication... I smiled a wry smile and said "Well, none for that".  


GO me! All that good food, fresh ingredients, non-processed crap and I must bow down to the cucumber water have paid off.


There is only one number that is considered normal but low and it has something to do with exercising.  On the old exercise note.  I tried to 'ski' down my back porch this morning while taking the dogs out in my robe and slippers.  I think I know why they are called SLIPPERS now!  Because every single muscle in my body was tense does that count as exercise? AND I held on to the dogs, who were eager to bolt as if in the Iditarod. After that beautiful moment of humility, I swept the back porch of all snow and ice.  You know, so my CHILDREN don't fall down. Wink Wink. I think I get extra points for that one.  


Art
Skittered but productive.  I keep dreaming of the textile designs.  The big meeting is a week from tomorrow.  Lots to work on but I am crossing fingers, toes, and whatever else I can get my hands on.  Working on color combinations. This could be endless.


I finished the background of another painting last night right at midnight.  And I didn't even turn into a pumpkin.  It's Kiev. I chose it because my husband and one of our best friends went last September. 


All of my paintings are over-layed with nature; flowers, branches, leaves and I'm just now figuring this out.  I have a HUGE squirrel brain. 


The next one of Kiev I won't paint over.  I think I will give it as a gift to our friend.  I know he's seen Kiev 9 million times, but sometimes a fresh perspective gives you a new insight on all things. He is a brilliant, kind, funny, deeply caring person who needs to be given something back other than my fabulous gourmet meals. 
See... branches.


And the books.  Well, I've researched my bunnies and poppies but I've also thought about including one of my favorite artists/people I know to work with me.  She does multi-media. Gorgeous pieces that are woven through with such intimacy and insight. I don't know how or if this will work but the worst thing that could happen is we both get inspired to do other things.  Branches...


Ruth's books are sitting there quietly talking to me.  I can't quite decide on my background for one of them.  I think a library trip is in order.  


Soul
This should say music. I painted for hours last night and of course am listening to it right now.  I had a friend who said something along the lines of "I think I could define where I was in each part of my life by listening to music".  Brilliant.  I completely agreed.  Music is such an integral part of my life.  I have different types for different moods or intentions.  If I want to be paint, inspired, put to sleep, feel completely at ease, sing as loud as my lungs will allow, laugh, smile, reflect, cry, I will put my music on.  And I love Pandora.  It is fantastic! It has introduced me to musicians that I probably never would have been exposed to.


That's where the soul seeps into the conversation.  It is in each stroke of the brush, each part of the conversation, each daily action.  It is in the cereal you eat, the wine you drink, the smile you give the grocery check out gal. 


We are one big forest of trees; intertwined branches and long conversations.  


If you listen to David Gray, Ray Lamontagne, Amos Lee, Bob Marley, Damien Rice, Emmy Lou Harris, Frank Sinatra, Donavon Frankenreiter, Michael Franti, Tracy Chapman, Patty Griffin, Ryan Adams and Ladysmith Black Mombazo all in one night, like I did, you can't help but feel connected in on long conversation.  


And finally, something I came up with as we awoke to 4" of snow that quickly turned in to 6".   



Peaceful white snow continues to fall as if all those snowflakes are the wishes we've been making.....







                                              






No comments:

Post a Comment